Puducherry, centuries before its merger with India in 1954, was a Port City and flourished as a Centre of International Trade and Commerce. The commercial history of Puducherry, dates back to the Roman Empire. The remnants of the ancient port town "Arikenmedu" six kilometers from Puducherry town, already prove that it had trade connections with Rome and Greece around the period 100 BC to 100 AD. Textiles, pearls and silk were the main items of exports. Puducherry continued to flourish even during the Chola period, as the discovery of Chola coins from 11th and 12th centuries indicate. Trade relations with China between the periods of 10th and 12th century A.D. also existed.
The fortune of the Port stayed linked to the successive Dynasties and Empires starting from Portuguese invasion up to 1614 A.D., Dutch invasion in 1618 A.D., and French rule from 1673 A.D. Puducherry Port flourished as a Centre of International Trade and Commerce during the French Rule.
A line drawn due east from the boundary pillar erected on the sea-shore 1595 meters north from the center of Puducherry New Pier to 15 fathoms of water.
A line drawn due east from the boundary pillar erected on the sea-shore 2987 meters south from the center of the Puducherry new pier to 15 fathoms of water.
A line drawn from the eastern extremities of north and south limits.
A line drawn from the northern boundary pillar to the southern boundary pillar, measuring approximately 4582 meters, parallel to the shore, 45.72 meters above high water level at spring tide, except that in respect of the stretch of foreshore covered by the points: 147 meters north and 107 meters south from the center of the new pier the line shall recede to 229 meters above high water level at spring tide.